A Commitment to Sustainability
UPDATED MARCH 1, 2022
Marcus & Millichap recognizes that it is our shared responsibility to protect the environment. We are committed to identifying, mitigating and managing risks associated with climate change. We are similarly focused on reducing our waste and energy usage. We also believe our partners can further these initiatives, and therefore this policy and these commitments apply across our organization and to our contractors and other vendors.
Understanding and Addressing Our Impact on the Environment
We believe that even as tenants and brokers there are actions we can take to promote the efficient use of resources and create positive change which both improves and protects our business and the community as a whole. We are therefore dedicated to understanding our impact and, under the leadership of the Nominating and Governance Committee of the Board of Directors, taking responsible action to meet the challenges of climate change and to protect our environment and community.
This effort, which will evolve and require partnership with our stakeholders, will focus on the areas we believe we can have the greatest influence:
- Reducing the environmental impact of our work both in and out of the office;
- Encouraging clients to address their own environmental concerns and
- Encouraging our employees and contractors to find ways to take responsibility for protecting the environment; and
- Partnering with building owners who support positive environmental efforts and increasing our leasing of office space in buildings which are environmentally certified by leading sustainability organizations.
Sustainability Through Action
We will regularly evaluate our sustainability policies and practices to identify potential opportunities for further sustainability improvements and promote the sustainability initiatives of our team and vendors. We have begun acting in the following areas:
- Continuing to lease office space in LEED, Energy Star, BOMA and other environmentally certified buildings;
- Taking responsibility for our e-waste by partnering with ecofriendly vendors to ensure the responsible recycling and/or reuse of equipment;
- Implementing policies to increase the recycling and reuse of materials and to pivot away from the use of non-reusable materials;
- Keeping energy usage low by using efficient lighting, thermostat settings, and energy saving equipment settings during work and non-work hours;
- Encouraging the use of electronic communications over paper communications or unnecessary travel;
- Purchasing products with a lower environmental impact;
- Encouraging low impact transportation, and the continued use of remote work where able;
- Endorsing sustainability initiatives that although are not directly related to our business embody sound policy and promote sustainability;
- Reviewing our sustainability initiatives on an annual basis with the Nominating and Governance Committee to ensure continuing assessment and improvement;
- Selecting business partners, building operators, and suppliers who have initiatives of their own, such as certification by a recognized sustainability organization, with the goal to reduce energy consumption overall and specifically consumption from non-renewable resources;
- Holding our partners, contactors, and suppliers accountable by requesting and auditing information regarding environmental initiatives and policies consistent with these commitments, such as continued LEED Certification.
These initiatives are only the beginning. There is more work to be done, and our program and priorities will be fluid and adapt. However, this is a critical start and reflects our shared belief that it is our obligation to identify and implement ways to be better stewards of the environment in which we live and work.